WOI2018 Awards Gala – SupportHER Evening Leaves Calgary Inspired
The fourth annual Women of Inspiration Awards recognized 18 exceptional females. Meet our #WOI2018 Award Winners.
For Immediate Release
Calgary, Alberta, September 25, 2018 – Canadian Business Chicks – and their SupportHERs – from across the country celebrated 18 exceptional women during the annual awards ceremony on September 20, 2018. The winners join a diverse group of Women of Inspiration alumni that have been honoured through the event since its inception in 2015.
“This event celebrates women who are making an impact in the community and around the globe,” explains the event’s founder and organizer, Monica Kretschmer. “The women who won are leading by example and are making a way for the next generation of women who are following in their footsteps. To move the needle, it is critical that we acknowledge the female leaders who are paving the way and stepping up to mentor other women. We cannot do it alone and we also must recognize the SupportHERs who are champions for women in their networks, workplaces and communities. These leaders had men and women who supported them throughout their career and now as Women of Inspiration, they are doing the same.”
The 2018 Women of Inspiration are:
• Audrey Mascarenhas – President and CEO, Questor Technology Inc. – Global Impact Award
• Karen Stewart – Founder and CEO Bumble Bees Venture Capital Inc. and Fairway Divorce Solutions Ltd. – Advocate and Catalyst for Change Award
• Vera Goodman – President, Reading Wings – Lifetime Achievement Award
• Captain Debora Bergeson – Captain, Calgary Fire Department – Unsung Hero Award
• Dr Jody Carrington – Psychologist & Chief Happiness Officer, Carrington and Company – Difference Maker Award
• Filomena Abdi – Owner, La Brezza Ristorante – Boss Chick Award
• Heather Erlen – Co-Founder, Virgin Beauty B!tch and Alberta Representative, Canadian Labour Congress – Power Partner Award
• Jessica Tsang – Founder and Director, Direct Health Canada – Millennial Leader Award
• Dr Laura Hambley-Lovett – President and Founder, Work EvOHlution, Canada Career Counselling, Leadership Success Group – Global Influencer Award
• Kimberley Van Vliet – Founder and CEO, WaVv and the ConvergX® Conference – Game Changer Award
• Marsha Laine-Dungog – Director (US Tx Law), Moodys Gartner Tax Law LLP – Authentic Leader Award
• Michelle Minke – Founder & Artistic Director, Cowtown Opera – Cultural Ambassador
• Rena Tabata – CEO & Co-Founder, Think Tank Innovations Ltd. – Trailblazer (STEM) Award
• Shannon Collins – Owner and President, Chair Flair Inc & Event Core – Mompreneur Award
• Yvonne E.L. Silver – Founder of Flourish with Yvonne Silver – Mentorship Award
• Tara Wilson – GM, Income Access (A Paysafe Company) – SupportHER Award
• Maria Martinello – Business Development Manager, Calgary Zoo – Innovative Leader Award
• Cindy Luffer – President and CEO of iPhix Inc – The Nest Award
The night was also about honouring those who have stepped up with the pledge to SupportHER with the purchase of a Canadian Business Chicks’ SupportHER membership. These men and women are standing in the gap for women in business who have the potential to move mountains – and need the mentorship, example, and support.
“Our 11-year-old daughter and I attended this year’s WOI event. It was so inspiring for both of us. Marley’s mind was in full gear all the way home imagining ways should could help to change the world. We are already looking forward to next year’s event and thinking of who we can invite along. Great energy, awesome connections, welcome awareness and hope for a better tomorrow. I love the way it made me feel. Monica is crazy enough to say the things she is going to do. Then she goes out and does them. Who doesn’t like being amazed.” Darren Biederman, Supreme Men’s Wear
The SupportHER membership was launched to elevate the business leaders who are willing to step up and help Canadian Business Chicks bring gender inclusiveness and education to the forefront. These champions genuinely believe in fairness, gender equality, and the development of talent in their organizations, and have a real opportunity to make a movement in business field.
The SupportHER members to date include:
• CIBC Wood Gundy, Faisal Karmali and Popowich Karmali
• High Arctic Energy, Cameron Bailey
• Copeman Healthcare Centre, Rick Tiedemann
• Sure Call Contact Centres, Desiree Bombenon
• Dentons, Nicole Bacsalmasi
• Cannabiz Social, Peter Pilarski
• Prairie Merchant, W. Brett Wilson
• Supreme Men’s Wear, Darren Biedermann
“During the course of the evening the SupportHER membership received a lot of attention. Business leaders in the room could see the impact our first 8 SupportHER members and there is buzz about how this program can help expand the reach of Women of Inspiration – and the encouragement of women in business nationwide to keep moving mountains,” Kretschmer explains.
Canadian Business Chicks welcomes you to champion for women by becoming a SupportHER Member, a Member of Canadian Business Chicks, join the Boss Chicks Authentic Mentorship Program, or by becoming a National Ambassador. Show you SupportHER and become a Corporate Sponsor to elevate and recognize women within your local, national and global communities!
We cannot move those mountains without your support!
For more information on the SupportHER membership click here.
For full bios of the 2018 Women of Inspiration Winners click here.
Monica Kretschmer – Founder and CEO, Canadian Business Chicks, Women of Inspiration Awards and The Nest Foundation
E. monica@canadianbusinesschicks..com Twitter: @cdnbizchicks Main: 403.606.8869